The Facts About WatermelonBack
Amazing Facts about Watermelon
- Watermelon is one of the most popular and delicious summer fruits that almost everyone loves. Watermelon is low in calories (it has 46 calories per cup) and high in vitamins A and C, it provides 17 percent of your daily Vitamin A intake and 20 percent of your daily Vitamin C intake.
- Watermelon is also rich in dietary fiber and potassium. While there’s a strong debate over whether watermelon is a vegetable or a fruit, many of us consider watermelon to be both. If you want to learn a few amazingly interesting facts about watermelon, keep reading…
1. Watermelon boosts brain power
- Did you know that watermelon can help you boost your brain power? The thing is, watermelon is an excellent source of Vitamin B6, which is vital for normal brain function. Moreover, the water percentage in this delicious fruit is similar to the water percentage in the brain.
2. It has a high water content
- Watermelon has an extremely high water content. According to the USDA, watermelon is 91.5 percent water, which means that this fruit can help you stay hydrated throughout the day. Eating watermelon or drinking watermelon juice each day is one of the most delicious ways to stay hydrated during this season, isn’t it?
3. It contains about 40 percent more lycopene than raw tomatoes
- A cup of watermelon contains 1.5 times more lycopene than a large fresh tomato. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that helps prevent the free radicals from causing cell damage and can improve your immune system. Moreover, this powerful antioxidant has been shown to lower the risk of cancer in the body.
4. A yellow watermelon
- Watermelon comes in different varieties. There’s a watermelon that is not pink on the inside. If you want to try something new, opt for Yellow Crimson. This yellow variety of watermelon has a sweet, honey like taste that you’ll definitely love. But it can be difficult to buy a yellow watermelon since it’s almost identical with the other watermelon varieties.
5. It’s good for your eyes
- Watermelon is packed with Vitamin A, which is great for your eyes. It helps to boost your eyesight power and it protects your eyes from various infections. Consume about 100 grams of watermelon each day to keep your eyes healthy and your eyesight sharp.
6. Watermelon juice can reduce muscle soreness
- Numerous studies show that watermelon juice can help to reduce muscle soreness, so it’s a great drink after an extremely tiring workout. The thing is, watermelon is one of the highest sources of citrulline, which helps to improve artery function and reduce blood pressure. If you have a muscle soreness, consider drinking water juice. Though, I recommend you to consult your doctor first.
7. It helps with weight loss
Eating watermelon is a tasty and frugal way to cleanse your body and drop a few unwanted pounds. As I mentioned above, watermelon is low in calories and high in water and this helps with weight loss. Watermelon makes a great base for homemade smoothies and the perfect snack between meals as it provides the body with lots of minerals and water.
8. It protects from UV rays
- Watermelon is high in lycopene, a carotenoid pigment that boasts powerful antioxidant properties. Lycopene helps to protect you against UV rays, sunburn and skin cancer. I think it’s an important reason to incorporate some watermelon into your daily diet.
Watermelon is an awesome fruit that boasts plenty of incredible health benefits. Add watermelon to your summer salads and smoothies, grill it or eat it raw. Summer is the perfect time to enjoy this tasty and healthy fruit. What’s your favorite way to eat watermelon? Share your ideas with us, please.