If anyone has ever told you that you’re stuck with your slow metabolism they’re wrong. In fact, scientifically proven evidence, that while energy expenditure is partly genetic, you can trick your body into burning calories more efficiently. Take your calorie-burning potential to the next level with these surprising metabolism secrets:
- Get your best smile on; It’s no joke: genuine laughter may cause a 10–20% increase in basal energy expenditure and resting heart-rate, according to a study. That means a 10-15 minute giggle fest could burn up 40-170 calories.
- Stay Cool; Very simply turning off the heat may subtly transform a person’s stores of brown fat “good” fat, stimulated by cold temperatures, that serves to keep us warm by burning through bad fat stores.
- Eatting mild peppers; It’s well reported that fiery capsaicin (think: hot sauce, cayenne, chilies) can rev up the metabolism, showing similar weight loss potential in dihydrocapsiate (DCT), the non-spicy cousin of hot peppers. People who ate the most DCT experienced a metabolic boost that was nearly double, the key point: pile on the poblanos!
- Drink more water; Weight loss doesn’t get easier than this: Simply drinking more water may increase the rate at which healthy people burn calories. After drinking approximately 17 ounces of water (about 2 tall glasses), your metabolic rates increased by 30%, increasing water intake by 1.5 liters a day (about 6 cups) would burn an extra 17,400 calories over the course of the year a weight loss of approximately five pounds!
- Just mustard; Add mustard to your meal, and feel the burn literally! that by eating 1 tsp of mustard (about 5 calories) can boost the metabolism by up to 25% for several hours after eating. The benefits may be attributed to capsaicin and allyl isothiocyanates, phytochemicals that give the mustard its characteristic flavor.
- Get moving for 2.5 minutes; Forget slogging on the treadmill for hours, people who did five 30-second bursts of max-effort cycling,or running, followed by 4 minutes of rest, burned 200 extra calories that day. That’s just 2.5 minutes of work for a resting metabolism boost that will last 24-48 hours!