Cuban Cardio-Style Turkey Vegetable LasagnaBack
Cuban Cardio-Style Turkey Vegetable Lasagna
This classic lasagna is bursting with bold flavor and nutrition but is lighter in fat and calories. It’s destined to be a family favorite on your dinner table.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (93% lean) ground turkey
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp each: dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup skim milk mozzarella cheese, grated
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- 2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground turkey, browning and breaking it into small pieces. Add tomato products, basil, oregano, and thyme and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. If sauce is too thick, add up to 1/2 cup water and simmer to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- 3. In medium bowl, stir together cottage cheese, spinach, parsley, black pepper, and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- 4. Coat a 13- X 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the bottom of the dish with 1/3 of the meat and tomato sauce mixture. Arrange four noodles over the sauce; top with 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with a second layer of 1/3 of the meat and tomato sauce, four noodles, and 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture. Layer with remaining meat and tomato sauce, four noodles and remaining cottage cheese mixture. Top lasagna with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- 5. Bake in center rack of the oven for about 25 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is starting to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Nutrient Analysis per serving: Calories: 408; Protein: 29 g; Carbohydrates: 31 g; Fat: 16 g; Sat fat: 7 g; Sodium: 770 mg; Fiber: 4 g